top of page

What is Construction Insurance?

Construction Insurance is also known as Contract Works Insurance.

When you’re working on a job or a construction site, there is a lot that can go wrong. Damage or loss to a building or project could cost you time, money and even your reputation. Meanwhile, an onsite injury can result in considerable pain, stress and financial loss.  ​That’s why having the right amount and type of construction insurance is very important and a big part of ensuring your business is protected. Giving you the right tools to work in and and grow your business with peace of mind.

​Who is construction Insurance for?

Contract works or construction insurance is recommended for small, medium and large residential, commercial and industrial builders, sub-contractors and owner builders. Most builders take out contract works insurance as an annual policy that covers multiple contracts and jobs. That way they don’t need to take out insurance for each project every time they do a job. There is also the option of insuring single projects, however, you need to take out a new policy for each job before you start work. Whilst owner builders take out contract works for a specific project, usually a new home they are building.

What can Construction Insurance cover?

Construction insurance can cover the building which is under construction, whether it’s a large apartment building or a brick veneer or mud brick home. You can also cover the tools and equipment  used in construction. An important part of protecting yourself is including public liability insurance. You can also elect to insure existing buildings or structures that may be part of the job or adjoining the job you are working on.


What doesn’t it usually cover?

All policies have exclusions.

The excess you need to pay, and the sum insured and limit of liability  greatly depending on the insurer.  Construction Insurance Policies generally won’t include cover for:

  • Loss after work has ceased for more than the number of days specified in the policy.

  • Loss after the property is occupied.

  • Consequential loss.

  • Work underground or in water unless specifically included and agreed by the insurers.

  • Cost of rectifying or correcting defective or faulty workmanship.

  • Damage to your own property.

  • Claims by employees.

  • Claims arising out of the use of a registered motor vehicle.

  • Claims related to asbestos unless specially include and agreed by the insurers.


So give us a call. We can assist you with a wide range of Builders insurance. including Home Construction Insurance, Commercial Construction Insurance, Tools and Public Liabilty Insurance. We also offer stand alone Trades Insurance for subcontractors as well. Complete the Contact Us form to email us with any questions or complete a Quote form above so we can provide you with a quote for your next project or business insurance.

Save time by taking some of the stress and hassle out of searching to find out more about Construction, Contract Works, Trades Public liability and Builders Project Insurance, Let us help you get Construction insurance for a Project or a Home Construction Projec, or Builders Business Public Liability insurance by simply completing a Quote form to get the process started.


If you prefer call us 9am to 5pm weekdays on 02 6555 5022 to find out more. We are happy to help answer any questions you have. Its often simpler just to give us a call if you dont want to fill out a form. You can also send an email using the Email Us link below.

bottom of page